Wood Floor Maintenance Tips
Hardwood floors are an expensive investment and can improve the resale ability of any home. In many cases they will add to the value of the home. Attention to proper care and maintenance will prolong the lifespan.
Basic Care and Maintenance of your wood floors:
- Vacuum and/or sweep at least once a week.
- Use bristle type doormats at all outside entrances to trap dirt.
- Use areas rugs at entries and water sources(kitchens)
- Cover high traffic areas with area rugs but avoid using rubber backed rugs.
- Use felt pads on all legs of furniture.
- Remove spills immediately.
- Never use a wet mop to clean your hardwood floors.
- The Swiffer vacuum works great for cleaning wood floors, but AVOID the swiffer wet jet as it will damage any hardwood floor.
- DO NOT use a household dust treatment as this may cause your floor to become slick or it may dull the finish.
- Do not use an oil soap or any cleaning product that mixes with water.
- Stay away from any ORANGE based cleaners such as Murphy's oil soap.
- Ammonia will damage or dull many surface finishes and should not be used to clean your floor.
If necessary, use a humidifier or dehumidifier to maintain the relative humidity in your home between 45-55% to avoid shrinkage during heating months. You WILL have some cracks during winter months.